Thursday, August 1, 2013

Spaghetti Squash - augratin

7:02 PM

I had to give this recipe a whirl! I love squash (ok everything EXCEPT butternut - don't ask me why I just can't stand the taste of it) I am in the land of picky eaters. But still try to get my fair share of veggies.

So I decided to cook up a spaghetti squash tonight with our hot dogs n mac n'cheese dinner.


I tried to pass this off as "moms other mac n'cheese" but they didn't buy it. .... I DID try :)
I omitted the onions in this recipe because I was out. Everything else I did exactly the same. 
Recipe courtesy of Dixie's Kitchen 
  • 1 medium spaghetti squash (about 2 1/2 lbs.)
  • 2 tablespoons butter
  • 1 small yellow onion, diced
  • 1 teaspoon fresh thyme
  • 3/4 to 1 cup sour cream
  • 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese, divided
  • 1/4 cup bacon pieces, optional
Heat oven to 450 degrees.
Cut spaghetti squash in half lengthwise and remove the seeds.  Spray a 9 x 13 baking dish with cooking spray.  Lay squash cut side down into dish.  Bake until just tender (the tip of a paring knife can be slipped into the flesh with slight resistance), 25 to 30 minutes.  Reset oven to 375 degrees.
While squash is baking saute onions, thyme and butter in skillet.  Cook until slightly brown in color .  Salt and pepper to taste.
Using a fork, scrape the insides of the squash and transfer to a large bowl.  Add the onion mixture, sour cream and half the cheese together and mix well.  Pour into a buttered 9 x 13 baking dish and bake at 375 degrees for 20 minutes.  Top with the remaining cheese and bake another 5 to 10 minutes until cheese is melted and browning.

0 comments:

Post a Comment